Tuesday 7 February 2012

Right then! Lets get this show on the ice

So I have been crap...Yes I admit it! I've not blogged. my fundraising effort has been minimal (although thank you to everyone who has donated thus far), media exposure arranging has been nil, and I've not even trained as I should have over the last couple of weeks.

But as we know the first step to redemption, is to admit the error of your ways first. And now baby I'm back...back with a vengeance I hope. There is one small problem!

I'm off tomorrow, so rather than catch up and make amends for past ills, I'm looking forward and I just hope I can get enough Internet access over the next 20 days to give you regular updates on the most terrifying and exhilarating thing I have ever attempted to do.

So lets catch up first on where i left off, and let you know whats been happening over the last few months etc...

The Challenge




Well that's simple. You take an old Soviet motorcycle with sidecar called a Ural (like one from the right but older), take it from the factory in Irbit, and drive it approximately 2500 km Northish through Siberia into the Arctic Circle to a place called Salekhard in the winter when everything is frozen, and no one dares to go out. Oh yeah there's no backup and these things break down a lot plus its a little nippy outside too.


The Partner


So when I came back from Peru, everyone loved the video, asked how I got on with Moira and Adam (both were amazing) and then often said the following "I would love to do something like that but I don't know anyone who'd do it with me". So you'd think when it came to finding a partner for The Ice Run, it would be a doddle. Think again! But I don't blame you all really. And to be honest, there's no one I'd rather be stuck in a blizzard with than the cool and composed Mr Kristan Fischer opposite. Yes he might be the coolest man on the planet (yes that's his very own helicopter ladies, and yes he does teach Salsa too) but he's also my mechanic, navigator, cook, translator, resident Aussie, and all round great buddy too. And we ladies and gentlemen are going to have the mother of all "badentures" as only he can put it.


The Training


Training, what training I hear you cry. Well I have been doing something. Like What? is the normal response. So I have been lucky enough to meet probably one of the hardest men on the planet. And he has become something of an inspiration, my man crush is on Captain James Hooley, who was the first man to trek solo to the magnetic North Pole in the Polar challenge race. He's advised me on what to expect, and how to handle the ever changing face of the tundra. He's also lent me plenty of useful kit too.

So after first meeting the polar bear slayer, I started to do all manner of strange things over the winter. The first was initially easy and then increasingly difficult which was to not wear a coat. Simple really, but frightfully cold without a beer jacket to help. The second thing was to take cold showers. This really was a killer. Initially a shower would last around 20 seconds, but over time, I conquered the fear and pain and can now happily stand under the shower (with no hot water whatsoever) indefinitely. I have cheated a few times, but that's been mostly down to hangovers, and being simply dirty.

I've also done the below, which was a little mad. Anyway, I'm hoping some preparation has kept me in good stead for future surprises.








The Gear




Baselayer








Midlayer




                     


Outerlayers


Other Gear
  • Sleeping bag - Nanok Performance -45
  • Tent - Mountain Hardwear trango 2.1
  • Stove - Primus Omnilite
  • Multitool - Leatherman Charge tti 

I think that's most of it, i'll try to update and add links to most of these as well as some pics.

So basically now i'm almost packed, flying of to moscow tomorrow morning and am kinda bricking it. Sometimes when everyone shows so much concern for your well being, you question whether you are doing the right thing. I'm honestly not sure, but I can't wait, and there is no pulling out now

Here's a trailer of what we hope its all going to be about. So please visit often and find out where in Siberia we are as we try and make it to the Arctic 

До свидания друзья






















3 comments:

  1. Happy (freezing) trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dudes, enjoy the ride! Looking forward to the stories... :-)
    Adam Incaredible

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Stay safe! Let us know how it goes with toileting in -50°C.......
    Di

    ReplyDelete